Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Toast to My 7 Links with Maroon Five, Lady Antebellum & More

Like it? Share it on Facebook or Twitter or Google +!


"Celebrate!"
Guess what? It's my 6th month of sharing trips, twists, and turns in the Philippines and beyond. While thinking about a good post to share to mark this milestone, Paul Corbett of MyPostCardFrom  nominated me to the 7 Links Project. I thought it was a good idea to connect with other bloggers and a great opportunity to share my posts that were successful, controversial, and helpful, among others. 

Because I'm in a celebratory mood, I invited some artists to introduce highlights of my blog through their songs.  Now sit back, relax, and enjoy your favorite drink as you read my 7 Links (and remember to click each link):

You're Beautiful (James Blunt) : Beauty at Paco Park
"Would you get married in a cemetery...if it's as beautiful as this?" That  was the question I asked when I shared my post about Paco Park, an old cemetery that is also a popular wedding venue in the Philippines. Someone  tweeted that he'll do so only if the Addams Family will be attending. Yet there were those who tweeted how lovely the park looked based on my photos. See it for yourself and tell me if you think it's beautiful.

Would Train say "Marry Me" here? 
Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous (Good Charlotte): Top 7 Filipino Food Snacks for Rainy Days
It's no surprise that my latest post on Philippine food is my most popular so far. I believe everyone has fond memories of food, especially those that bring comfort on a rainy day. While this  list has not made me rich and famous, this post has been shared and mentioned many times.  Maybe I should make another food-related post in the next 6 months?

Weird Al Yankovic invites you to "Eat It".
Controversy (The Artist Formerly Known as Prince): Tips on Talking to Locals
My most controversial post isn't exactly controversial in a sense that it didn't generate a lot of hate or heated arguments.  However, I got a number of direct messages that suggested I need to correct some information on this post about talking to Filipinos. There was even someone who asked if I really was from the Philippines(!). So what was the fuss all about? I referred to one of the Philippine languages as "Filipino". Thus, I had to update my post to clarify some misconceptions about the Philippine language.  

"Oh Lord, don't make me misunderstood", sang Lil Wayne.


I Run To You (Lady Antebellum): In Case of Earthquakes 
This is by far my most helpful post as it provides tips on earthquake preparedness for travelers. There are probably hundreds of tips on  what to do if a tsunami or an earthquake strikes at home. However, I have only found a few guides on how travelers can keep themselves safe in case the ground shakes.

Would The Beatles seek"Help" here if there's a quake?
Makes Me Wonder (Maroon 5): Mambukal
I am still surprised why this post was a success.  My feature on Mambukal, a mountain resort, was part of a series of posts on the Sugar Capital of the Philippines, Negros Occidental. It  had the most unique page views in that series and had audience from as far as Africa. Not that I'm complaining. The success of this post led me to the creation of a Nokia app for this blog.   

"Don't go chasing waterfalls", warned TLC.
Video Killed the Radio Star (The Buggles):  The Giants of Bangui
So what killed this post - the photo, the title, or the subject? I haven't really figured out why it didn't get the attention it deserves.  Perhaps, only those who are fascinated with windmills appreciate what I've written. Anyway, make sure to see these gentle giants when you head to Ilocos Norte, Philippines.

Will this make Sting sing "Windmills of Your Mind?"
Proud (Heather Small, London 2012 Theme):  Lost in the National Museum
I was inspired to write this post after getting lost inside the National Art Gallery of the National Museum of the Philippines. Although it is a lengthy post, I am very proud to have shared the things I rediscovered about Philippine art, culture, and history.  Interestingly, this continues to be on my list of popular posts even if it was one of the first posts I have written.

"P-p-p-poker face, P-p-poker face", says Lady Gaga.
With that aside, here are other bloggers I'm nominating for the 7 Links: (drum roll please.....)

Ivan Henares of Ivan About Town : I'm surprised he's not yet nominated...He's considered as one of the pioneers in Philippine travel blogging. This guy not only blogs about different travel destinations, he also promotes the preservation of heritage sites. 

Carlos Celdran of Walk This Way : Meet the  charismatic (and controversial) man who's trying to change the way you look at Manila one step at a time. 

Hana of Fateundermined : She's out of the hospital to see more of the world. And she's exploring off the beaten path places!

Byaheng Barok  : Single mom traveling throughout the Philippines and Asia - on a budget.

Travel Freak:  Everything you need to know about cool travel destinations in Australia and New Zealand. Plus travel tips and useful itineraries.

Now raise your glasses and let's toast to more happy and fruitful travels! :-)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to share? Leave a comment.(Just make sure it's not nasty.)